Scientific research about what is in the placenta explaining
why it is so powerful
Placenta encapsulation works because of
what is in the placenta
There is continual research being conducted on the benefits of placenta encapsulation as its popularity is growing fast. Current research shows over 90% positive benefits for consumers.
Reduced postnatal depression
Research shows that increased Vitamin B6 prevents postnatal depression B6 Supplementation is an established treatment for Post Natal Depression and has a proven role in regulating mental processes and mood.
CRH and Cortisol
The stress relieving hormones CRH and Cortisol are found in the placenta. These levels drop after birth leading to new mums feeling stressed out! Increasing levels decreases stress.
The placenta contains high levels of iron. Research has shown that even a small drop in iron can lead to fatigue which often leads to depression. Increased iron leads to less fatigue or more energy and therefore less depression
Thyroid Releasing Hormone (TRH)
changes in your thyroid function can lead to panic attacks, agitation, psychosis and bi-polar disorders. The Thyroid is so important because these hormones interact with the brain messengers that influence mood and emotions. Most women have a higher rate of thyroid dysfunction after pregnancy.
The placenta contains Thyroid Releasing Hormone (TRH), thyroid-stimulating immunoglobulins and Thyroxine that can moderate your Thyroid levels and stabilize your mood.
These hormones found in the placenta are the ones found to have a similar impact as some anti-anxiety medications helpful in relieving depression. By increasing these two hormones Endorphin levels are increased leading to a greater sense of well-being.
The placenta contains high levels of Oxytocin. This is the hormone of love, bonding, safety and relaxation. it is one of the best feel-good hormones there is. Increasing your oxytocin levels increases your sense of love, well-being and happiness.
Increased physical energy
Once again, this amazing component does its magic with increasing physical energy. Iron supplements are often difficult to absorb, as this is your own iron it is much easier to absorb. Studies have shown that while some components are reduced in the dried state, most remain and iron is even more highly concentrated.
Increased milk supply
Human Lactogen Hormone
The placenta contains Lactogen hormone which studies have shown to increase breast milk supply leading to an increase in weight gain in babies. One Midwife has also observed that milk comes in sooner for women taking their placenta capsules but they have noticeably less breast engorgement.
Mesenchymal stem cells
Placentas contain Mesenchymal stem cells? MSCs are the precursor cells for the tissues of the body, and, in a laboratory setting, they have been shown to do extraordinary things, like differentiating into many important cells for the body, indicating that they could one day be used in regenerative therapies for various organs.
Backed by science
- Gryder, L. K., Young, S. M., Zava, D., et al. (2017). Effects of human maternal placentophagy on maternal postpartum iron status: A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled pilot study. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health 62:68-79.
- Hammett, F. S. (1918). The effect of the maternal ingestion of desiccated placenta upon the rate of growth of the breast-fed infant. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 36, 569–573.
- Marraccini, M.E., Gorman, K. S. (2015). Exploring placentophagy in humans: Problems and recommendations. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health 60(4): 371-9.
- Young, S. M., Gryder, L. K., David, W. B., et al. (2016). Human placenta processed for encapsulation contains modest concentrations of 14 trace minerals and elements. Nutrition Research 36(8): 872-8.
- Young, S. M., Gryder, L. K., Zava, D., et al. (2016). Presence and concentration of 17 hormones in human placenta processed for encapsulation and consumption. Placenta 43: 86-9.
- List Adapted From Jodi Selander, Allison Cantor, Sharon M. Young & Daniel C. Benyshek (2013): Human Maternal Placentophagy: A Survey of Self-Reported Motivations and Experiences Associated with Placenta Consumption, Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 52:2, 93-115
Claim your feel-good hormones and choose your
placenta encapsulation package
Included in your package – a personalised letter with a photo and description of your placenta, a digital photo of your placenta, an art-quality print of your placenta, your preserved umbilical cord, a part of the placenta sac, easy-to-follow instructions with ongoing support, and a booklet with facts about placenta encapsulation for you to keep or share.